Federal Halfway House – Everything You Need To Know

Over the past several weeks, I have received numerous e-mails and calls from different individuals concerning federal halfway house placements that have been reduced significantly—or denied entirely—by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (“BOP”).

What is going on? A variety of things, it seems.

I.  Federal Halfway House – A Brief Overview

The BOP has long afforded inmates the opportunity to spend a portion of their final days of imprisonment in a federal halfway house. A few years back the BOP started calling federal halfway houses “Residential Re-Entry Centers,” or RRCs for short, but the name change did not materially affect the function of federal halfway houses—to provide a transitional period for prisoners releasing into the community. This transitional period allows prisoners to look for work, housing, and rebuild family/community ties 

A.   BOP’s Statutory Authority For Federal Halfway House Placements

The BOP’s authority to place inmates in a federal halfway house derives from two federal statutes:

  • 18 U.S.C. 3621(b)
  • 18 U.S.C. 3624(c)(1)

Section 3621(b) states, in relevant part, that:

The Bureau of Prisons shall designate the place of the prisoner’s imprisonment. The Bureau may designate any available penal or correctional facility that meets minimum standards of health and habitability established by the Bureau, whether maintained by the Federal Government or otherwise and whether within or without the judicial district in which the person was convicted, that the Bureau determines to be appropriate and suitable.

Section 3624(c)(1) provides:

The Director of the Bureau of Prisons shall, to the extent practicable, ensure that a prisoner serving a term of imprisonment spends a portion of the final months of that term (not to exceed 12 months), under conditions that will afford that prisoner a reasonable opportunity to adjust to and prepare for the reentry of that prisoner into the community. Such conditions may include a community correctional facility.

B. There Is No Limit On How Long A Federal Prisoner Can Be Placed In A Halfway House Under 18 U.S.C. 3621(b)

There is a common misbelief that federal prisoners are limited to 12 months of federal halfway house placement. While in practice most federal prisoners are never approved for more than 12 months of placement, the BOP has the authority to designate a federal halfway house as a prisoner’s place of imprisonment just like a Federal Correctional Institution or other BOP institution. This is because a federal halfway house is considered a “penal or correctional facility” within the meaning of 18 U.S.C. 3621(b). Elwood v. Jeter, 386 F.3d 842, 846-47 (8th Cir. 2004); Goldings v. Winn, 383 F.3d 17, 28-29 (1st Cir. 2004); Levine v. Apker, 455 F.3d 71, 82 (2d Cir. 2006).

The BOP recognizes this authority. In a November 14, 2008, memorandum entitled “Inmate Requests for Transfer to Residential Reentry Centers,” BOP’s former General Counsel, Kathleen Kenney, wrote that:

“Inmates are legally eligible to be placed in an RRC at any time during their prison sentence. Federal courts have made clear that RRCs are penal or correctional institutions within the meaning of applicable statutes. Staff cannot, therefore, automatically deny an inmate’s request for transfer to a RRC. Rather, inmate requests for RRC placement must receive individualized consideration. In other words, staff cannot say that an inmate, whatever the circumstances, is automatically ineligible for transfer to a RRC. Rather, staff must first review the inmate’s request on its individual merits, in accordance with policy, as explained in this guidance.

The memo further instructs BOP staff to consider requests for transfer to an RRC outside the normal pre-release time period “just as they would any other request for lower security transfer.” Such transfer requests are to be taken up in conjunction with the next scheduled Program Review.” However, the memo notes that an RRC transfer of this nature should not be approved unless “unusual or extraordinary” circumstances are present. What “unusual of extraordinary” means is left to the BOP’s discretion.

C. BOP’s “Pre-Release” Authority Under 18 U.S.C. 3624(c)(1) Allows The BOP To Place A Prisoner In A Federal Halfway House For Up To 12 Months

Most federal halfway house placements are made pursuant to the BOP’s authority under 18 U.S.C. 3624(c)(1). That statute allows the BOP to place prisoners in a federal halfway house for up to 12 months for “pre-release” reasons.

Since the enactment of the Second Chance Act in 2008, the BOP has developed a series of guidance memoranda about how to apply section 3624(c)(1). BOP’s first Second Chance Act memo about federal halfway house placements was issued April 14, 2008. A second RRC guidance memorandum was published June 24, 2010. And a third was released May 24, 2013.

The May 24, 2013, memorandum is entitled “Guidance for Home Confinement and Residential Reentry Center Placements,” and was issued by Blake R. Davis, Assistant Director of the Correctional Programs Division (who has since retired).

Because the May 24, 2013, memorandum is over four years old, I called the BOP Central Office in October 2017 to find out if a newer memo had been issued. After much back and forth, I was finally able to speak with Ms. Tracy Rivers in the Central Office who advised that there was “no newer memo.”

The May 24, 2013, memorandum is very specific about how federal halfway house placements should be handled. Generally speaking, though, the memorandum instructs BOP staff to conduct individualized federal halfway house placement decisions. The memo treats prisoners with longer sentences and fewer community ties  as better candidates for longer federal halfway house placements. By contrast, "low risk" prisoners with a job and home to go should be sent to home confinement in lieu of federal halfway house placement, according to the memo.

Importantly, only the Warden may approve modifications to the length or type of placement. As the memo states:

If the RRM determines a modification to a referral is needed or that other placement options are available (such as direct home confinement for an inmate with low needs/risk or placement in work release program for a higher security inmate), the change must be approved by the Warden. The RRM will contact the referring institution' s CMC and request the recommended modification be considered . The CMC will facilitate the Warden's review of the request and advise the RRM accordingly. Modifications can occur with the Warden' s consent.

D. Federal Prisoners May Be Placed On Home Confinement For The Last Ten Percent Of Their Sentence, Or Six Months, Whichever Is Less

By statute federal prisoners may be placed on home confinement for ten percent of their sentence, or six months, whichever is less. 18 U.S.C. 3624(c)(2). Thus, six months represents the upper limit on the length of home confinement placement when the sentence is five years or more. When a sentence is less than five years, the maximum amount of home confinement is ten percent of the total sentence.

The BOP’s May 24, 2013, memorandum also provides guidance on how BOP staff should handle home confinement placements. According to the memo:

For low need/low risk inmates, home confinement Is the preferred pre-release option . This option is currently under-utilized. Program Statement 7320. 01, Home Confinement, states supervision under home confinement may be provided by contract halfway house services, U.S. Probation or other government agencies.

This is normally accomplished via two home confinement options: placement under the supervision of an RRC or placement in the Federal Location Monitoring (FLM) program operated by U.S. Probation, where available. We must make a concerted effort to utilize these effective community placement options for appropriate inmates. In addition to reintegrating inmates more quickly into their communities, maximizing the use of home confinement for appropriate inmates will help mitigate our critical population/capacity issues.

The basic criteria for home confinement includes:

1) Appropriate release residence (e.g., positive environment free from criminal/drug use activity and a reasonable distance from the RRC , typically less than 100 miles);

2 ) No recent major disciplinary issues . This should be based on sound correctional judgment;

3) Any medical or mental health needs that can be met in the community and funded by the inmate or other documented resources, and

4 ) Secured employment is not required for placement on home confinement.

Placement should occur as close to the home confinement eligibility date as possible.

II. Why The BOP Is Reducing Or Cancelling Federal Halfway House Placements

The reduction and/or cancellation of federal halfway house placements began in the summer of 2017. The cancellations were prompted by the closure of 16 federal halfway houses which were previously under contract with the BOP. Each of these federal halfway houses had 25 or fewer beds. Justin Long, a spokesperson for the BOP, told Reuters news service that the BOP "had to make some modifications to our programs due to our fiscal environment."

Here is a list of the federal halfway houses that were closed:

Colorado Springs, CO -- Comcor, Inc

Ft. Collins, CO -- Larimer County Community Cntr

Madison, WI -- ARC Community Services

Mitchell, SD -- Dakota Counseling

Marquette, MI -- Great Lakes Recovery Center

Akron, OH -- Oriana House

Dayton, OH -- Alvis

Wheeling, WV -- Barnumm

Columbia, MO -- Reality House

Bingham, NY -- Volunteers of America

Ashland, KY -- Transitions

Durham, NC -- Transitions of Youth

Duluth, MN -- Duluth Bethel Society

Champaign, IL -- Prairie Center Health

Beaumont, TX -- Bannum

Butte, MT -- Community Counseling and Corrections

Apart from the closure of these federal halfway houses, though, it appears that, long "pre-release" federal halfway house placements will become the exception, rather than the norm, under the new administration.

III. What You Can Do If Your Federal Halfway House Time Was Cut

If you, or a loved one, were originally approved for a certain amount of halfway house--only to have that original release date stripped away--you have a few options.

  1. Challenge the change in placement through the BOP's Administrative Remedy Program. These reductions do not appear to be consistent with the BOP's guidance memoranda. The approval of a prisoner for a particular date represents the BOP's judgment that the prisoner needs that amount of time in a federal halfway house. To the extent the BOP truly cannot place a prisoner in a halfway house on his or her originally scheduled date, the BOP should work with the U.S. Probation Officer to place those affected prisoners on Federal Location Monitoring.
  2. Have your friend or loved one contact the BOP Residential Re-Entry Manager.
  3. Contact your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator in the state of your residence. You can request constituent service for something like this.
  4. Litigation - while always an option there are many hurdles to challenging a reduced federal halfway house placement. And with the exhaustion of remedies requirement, the BOP very well may run out the clock on you through that process before you are released.

IV. Download A Copy Of This Article

If you would like to send a copy of this article to a friend or loved on in federal prison, you can download it here:

Attorney Brandon Sample's Residential Re-entry Center Tips









About Brandon Sample

Brandon Sample is an attorney, author, and criminal justice reform activist.Brandon’s law practice is focused on federal criminal defense, federal appeals, federal post-conviction relief, federal civil rights litigation, federal administrative law, and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).


  1. Stacy Crowder on October 27, 2017 at 7:37 am

    My fiancé was supposed to be going to the halfway house January 16, 2018 and he is not now because of the budget cut, my question is can I not appeal this decision or can he not just be put in my custody and I be responsible for him because he will be receiving his monthly check it will be reinstated once he is released I have already spoken with Social Security all he needs is his release papers from FBOP and they will start his check back so he would stay in the halfway house long anyway! Can you answer this???

    • Brandon Sample on October 29, 2017 at 4:44 pm

      Thanks for reaching out. It was good to speak to you and I hope that you are able to get somewhere with the problem you are facing.

  2. Betty on October 30, 2017 at 1:57 pm

    My husband was sentenced unjustly to 30 months. He is 67 years old and was sole breadwinner. I am his wife and have our 2 sons living with me, one still a minor, and we all have health issues. Is there a direct home placement (early release) based on hardship? THanks

    • Brandon Sample on November 5, 2017 at 2:32 pm

      He may be eligible to apply for something called “compassionate release.” However, in practice very little of what the BOP does is “compassionate.”

  3. Antonia Mcphee on November 4, 2017 at 12:22 am

    My husband was supposed to be released to home confinement on Nov 16 however he was told it was changed to May 2018. After receiving a disingenuous response from his RRM I contacted my senator. He was just told it’s been moved to March however that’s only 2 days before his original halfway house date. I’m not sure who else to contact. They should be obligated to honor their agreement. Companies can end in lawsuits for breaking such agreements but the government doesn’t? It’s not fair. His life means something to me and his love ones although I know it means nothing to them. I need him home. Is there anything else I can do? He was already approved for home confinement if they are really looking to cut budgets why not let him come home? Thanks in advance for any an all assistance and advice given.

    • Brandon Sample on November 5, 2017 at 2:30 pm


      What the BOP is doing is very cruel and heartless. Unfortunately, the BOP has a lot of discretion over such matters. While many individuals are eligible for home confinement, they must first pass through a halfway house (typically) before home confinement can begin. There is a program called “federal location monitoring” that allows for federal prisoners to be sent straight home. The U.S. Probation Office would supervise their home confinement under such circumstances. I encourage you to reach out to your member of Congress and two U.S. Senators. Request “constituent service” about this matter. That is likely your best shot at getting him sooner than May 2018.

      • Antonia Mcphee on November 8, 2017 at 2:18 am

        Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will reach out for assistance.

      • Cynthia moore on December 27, 2018 at 3:04 pm

        My son who lived, convicted and sentenced in n.c. also has been told his halfway house release date for august of 2019 has been changed to oct of 2019. His sentence of ten years will end early 2020. You are correct in your statement that there is no compassion within the correctional system. My understanding of what i have read is to talk with senators and a congress member requesting constituent service. The reason would be for home confinement supervised by an u.s. probation officer in my state since the hafway house release date has been changed. Thanks a million

  4. Kelly Villasenor on December 4, 2017 at 5:48 pm

    hi my son is suppose to be going to a halfway house in march 2018 he is ending a 5 year sentence but the judge when sentencing him said that the final 12 months of his sentence is to be served na halfway house for him to serve no more then 12 no less then 6 so the prison does have to honor the judges sentence rite be cuz hes so stressed out becuz his paperwork hasnt came back yet from the halfway house n i guess other inmates r telling him about people not being able to go to halfway houses n them having to do the remainder of there time there n he is so worried thank u

  5. J.L. MURPHY on December 20, 2017 at 3:08 pm

    Brandon, thank you for your continued support and champion of inmate and Defendant-friendly causes. As we all know (at least those of us with an operational brain), the current Administration (perhaps aside from “the Generals”) are political extremists, whose philosophy and beliefs, if implemented, would set this country back years, pre-racial integration, maybe even pre-Columbian (inasmuch as our dear President fails to grasp the concept that we are ALL immigrants here – white Europeans were arguably the last to arrive!).
    At any rate, notwithstanding the dire state of affairs, we must move forward to the extent the political climate allows. Given the majorities in both Houses of Congress, it seems doubtful that Defendant/inmate advocacy of pressing needs will be forthcoming any time soon. Hopefully the courts will be our last, and abiding refuge for redressing a perpetually unfair and unjust criminal justice system. Case in point is the curtailment of Halfway House (R.R.C.) placements. I have read everything related on this site as well as that found on independent sources discussing the same issue. None of the B.O.P.’s justifications hold water. They just do not. Simply take a look at the Administration’s recent banning of certain so-called provocative words used by the Center for Disease Control (C.D.C.). The truth is, these words do not fit well with the Administration’s ultra-conservative views. As a result, we abandon the First Amendment. Not only that, but the banned words seem essential to relevant scientific research. Nevertheless, that little point is easily dismissed by an individual who, for just one example, rejects thousands of the world’s most prominent scientists’ confirmation that yes, global warming does exist, and yes it is predominantly caused by man and rampant, unchecked industrialization. In other words, what is happening overall cannot be explained by the current rhetoric. Instead, and with this Administration, all must be seen for its very real ulterior motive to drive home at all costs an extreme political philosophy, which seemingly pervades every word and deed that emanates therefrom.
    In sum, although I dislike being the bearer of bad news, to be quite candid, I do not see major improvement in any of the issues discussed in this article until a change in Administration is forthcoming. Sadly, all the work done in this area by our previous Attorney General Eric Holder has been, is in the process of, or will be in the future, run out of town (either through legislation, fiat, staff appointments, or Executive Order, among others).
    This all has much less to do with being either a Democrat or a Republican, and more to do with just being a fair-minded, deep thinking, and just person. Qualities we find way too little of at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. There is, however, some light at the proverbial end of the tunnel. If you have a friend or loved one either in prison or in jeopardy of going to federal prison, there is probably no one nationwide more knowledgeable, more experienced, than Brandon Sample and Associates. Brandon and colleagues are more accomplished, more learned, and actually care, really care about the “raw deal” some criminal Defendants receive. Where others have no solutions, Brandon can think “outside the box” as they say and find resolutions and relief where others cannot. Where so many are victimized by a system that everyday and in every way seeks to crush the human spirit and extract their pound of flesh at all costs, Brandon may not be capable of reversing such overwhelmingly negative outcomes in every case. However, if relief can be had, I would cast my stone on, place my faith in, put my bet down on, Brandon and colleagues.
    I wish everyone well. Yes, we have mountains to climb, obstacles to circumvent, but we also have individuals like Brandon who will accompany us and assist us every step of the way. TAKE CARE ALL !!

  6. Jessica on February 7, 2018 at 6:08 pm

    My husband should be getting home to Texas next yr if his judge recommended a year halfway house will he get it or what would we need to do to try and get that yr

  7. Jeannie Gordy on February 28, 2018 at 8:30 pm

    My son was placed in a federal halfway house in December 2017 for 9 days and then returned home to my house under home confinement. He has cooperated 100 % with the halfway house. Always answering their phone calls multiple times a day,(including the 2 or 3 a.m. calls), drug testing, drug classes, meeting with staff when asked, etc. He had a job lined up but needed a vehicle because the job was not on a bus route. I helped him get a vehicle and then he had to jump through all kinds of hoops to be granted permission to drive. I understand all of that because he is still under the BOP. Unfortunately, the used vehicle had mechanical issues from the get go and ended up being towed to a dealership for repairs. Because it is a foreign car we were told that the part would have to be ordered from the U.K. and it could take several days to get the part and then do the repair to make the vehicle operable again. Fast forward to when the vehicle was ready to be picked up.
    I received a call in the morning from the dealership ( as I was heading out to a 4 hour class) to let me know that the repair is now completed and can be picked up anytime. I didn’t get a chance to tell my son that I received that call. Then I found out that the halfway house called him to find out when his car would be finished because he was approved to begin working at the job that he secured. He told them that he hasn’t heard anything from the service department but it should be ready this week. They asked for the contact information for the service department. Keep in mind that I was,the contact person for the service department regarding the vehicle. When the halfway house found out that the vehicle was fixed and ready to be picked up and that the part didn’t come from the U.K. they then called my son and told him that he needed to return to the halfway house with his belongings! When he arrived they wrote him up for falsifying a statement to staff!! WHAT….I couldn’t believe what I was hearing!! He only told them what the service manager told me and the service manager said that he would call them and straighten out this misunderstanding. The staff refused to talk to me or the service manager. My son is trying to get his life back on track and these contracted employees are not there to assist him but to sabotage his re entry back into society. Where does someone turn to get help with this travecy?????

    • Vickie Wade on April 11, 2018 at 7:32 pm

      We are going through basically the same B.S. My son has lost out on 2 jobs due to the supposed rehab center. They are not in bussiness to help at all. You can not get straight answers from any one. And nothing in writting. He turns in papers and they disappear so we now make and keep copies. He turns in papers for job interview and to enroll in college and they ignore them or denied them. Who can you report this stuff to?

      • Brandon Sample on April 12, 2018 at 10:26 pm

        I encourage everyone who is having these kinds of issues to reach out to their member of Congress for constituency service. It’s free. And it can be helpful.

  8. Judy Noyola on April 9, 2018 at 12:22 am

    Yes I had a question I wanted to know who is allowed to visit someone in a halfway house is it just immediate family or can someone else like a girlfriend be able to visit this certain person. And I also had another question can the visitation be revoked where this person isn’t allowed to get any contact from a girlfriend and can po cancel or revoke that visitation that isn’t issued to the person that’s in a halfway house? Or can the inmate who is in a halfway house is there po allowed to revoke this visitation or can a another po who isn’t this person’s original po is that person allowed to revoke a visitation from this person those are my questions

    • Brandon Sample on April 12, 2018 at 10:27 pm

      If the person is still in BOP custody, the halfway house would determine who can or cannot visit them. If they are on supervised release, that might be a different scenario.

      • Jason mandara on January 12, 2019 at 10:52 pm

        My brother just got sentenced to 1 year and day when will he be elidgble for a halfway house how much time will he have serve before he can go halfway house ! He has job lined up so that’s not issue ?? Pls answer my question his lawer can’t anserr us .

  9. Alicia on April 15, 2018 at 3:20 am

    Hello I am writing because my husband is in federal custody in Milan michigan….his case Manager denied to put him in for halfway house period and his max out date is in 0ctober 2018…I’ve read the 18 u.s.c 3624 so has he.. it is not up to the prison to approve or reject correct isn’t that up to region…How can they deny to put him in period…isn’t their something I can do he qualifies for up to 6 months what can I do

    • Brandon Sample on April 19, 2018 at 10:32 am

      Hi Alicia,

      In my experience, the best way to address things like this is through constituency service. You can contact your member of Congress, for example, and ask them to reach out to the BOP about the matter. Have you tried this? The other option is for him to file a BOP grievance directly concerning the matter. However, that usually does not go very far….

      • COLE on June 18, 2018 at 12:51 am

        I filed a Bp8,9 and to the region office and finally got my halfway house so file, file and keep filing. A BP11 goes to Washington. Good luck

  10. Tracy Williams on May 2, 2018 at 10:32 pm

    My fiance was sentenced to a year and day for a federal probation violation, how soon can he be eligible for halfway house if they give up to 12 months. Can he request right away or is there a process. I was told he had to go through halfway house first before home confinement. What would be the best option or procedure to get him in the halfway house asap.

    • Breanab on May 10, 2018 at 4:21 pm

      We’re you able to find out?

  11. Soraya k on May 4, 2018 at 1:04 am

    How can I find out if my husband is eligible for a halfway house ? He was sentenced to 13yrs and has been Down 11

  12. Tami Mason on May 6, 2018 at 11:07 pm

    I have a friend in the federal half way house as we speak. He has been there for 5 months already. He is down to his last 25 days. He has had fill time employment the whole time he’s been there. He works 11 hours a day 6 days a week, and the halfway house takes $450 out of every paycheck. That’s $900 a month. He does everything by the book. He has not had any write ups or violations since he’s been there. I recently submitted a visitation application. It’s been two months since I turned it in and they refuse to tell him whether I’m approved or not. From day one they told him if he found a place they approved, he could do home confinement. He recently found one. He paid all the deposits and first and last. He then bought furniture for it. The halfway house has now told the apartment manager and the residence that if he shows up at the apartment they are to call and he will be arrested and be returned to prison. He was told by staff that he was a threat to society and would not be getting out and most likely will be returning to prison. His counselor was to to deny any passes and visitations. Even his counselor is at a loss for his current treatment by the staff. 6 of the men that were in his group have been sent back to prison. He is so stressed out that he will barely even answer the phone if I call. Can anything be done for him. Aren’t there policys to protect his rights. Are they trying to see how far they can push him, to see if he snaps. How is this treatment even considered humane?

  13. Breanab on May 9, 2018 at 10:27 pm

    Hello , my husband was sentenced to a year in a day January 8, 2018 and was told that he was approved for the halfway house this month. The warden signed off on the halfway house and he was told that he would be Going to the halfway house in August 2018. We are trying to push home confinement due to having a disabled daughter and me having to go back to work. Is there a way that we can get the date moved closer. We were told when the probation came out last week that he could do 6-8 months in halfway house but if the release date is in November why would he only be going to the halfway way in August ? We are trying to push home confinement due to having a disabled daughter and me being able to go back to work. Is there way that we can get the date moved closer and have him at the halfway house before August. He has a job lined up already. He was told from the counselor that there is a possibility that they can change the halfway house date sooner but didn’t explain how?

  14. Brandon Sample on May 11, 2018 at 11:49 am

    Unfortunately, under current law a federal prisoner cannot serve more than 10 percent of their sentence on home confinement, or six months, whichever is less. As a result, the most he could be placed on home confinement would be 1 months with a one year sentence.

  15. Dpain on May 29, 2018 at 9:04 pm

    I have a sentencing date of June 29th with my psi showing 13 points after 3 pt reduction for accept. Responsibility, were are contesting three enhancements, trying to move towards zone b. From what I perceive, could there be an Up-Front discussion to be had with my congressman pushing for the least amount of prison time and the highest amount of freedoms during RRC, additionaly, would a request to BOP to serve at an institution that could produce a more favorable journey from prison, House, home?? ie., requesting time in a state that has more over crowding, less white collars, combined with smoother transitions through halfway houses to home??

  16. Izabel on June 3, 2018 at 11:07 pm

    My husband is serving a 30 month sentence. He is eligible for halfway house at the end of this month. He was recommended to get 4-5 months by the warden, however re-enrty hasn’t finalized this yet. How can I help him get the most possible (12 months) What can I do from my end? I have 5 young children under the age of 11 and my youngest is just 10 months. I’m struggling and my kids are failing in all areas. Please advise.

  17. brayham mejia on June 9, 2018 at 6:54 pm

    So my mother in law was suppose to get release to us in the state of PA, that also where her halfway house was suppose to be. I received an order from the military to relocate to FL. What can I do to still get her to change her half way house.

  18. wendi herron on June 19, 2018 at 11:24 pm

    My son was released to Federal
    Halfway house on June 3, 2018 . He was not not given medication he had been on like prozac and boose bars today (June 19, 2018) He woke up in a panic and just ran out. He called me and I took him to hospital telling everyone i could he has ran. He was picked up at hospital, but they diagnosed it as a PTSD attack. What is going to happen? In my opinion he did everything right even in the state of mind he was in. He spent 1 yr in the Shu and i blame that for his worsened state. He was not like this when he went in and im worried its just only going to get worse if he goes back.. He was released from Victorville usp to Utah ccm. He was doing good but just woke up and freaked out.

    • Brandon Sample on June 19, 2018 at 11:33 pm

      He is going to go through the disciplinary process most likely, but the BOP is not allowed to punish someone who did not have the proper mental state at the time.

  19. Amy on June 27, 2018 at 4:38 pm

    My fiancé is in federal prison due to a violation, his case manager and the warden signed off on him going into a RRC in the beginning of August. The RRM denied due to him having an open case, he has already accepted a plea and they are giving him time served. Is there anyone I can talk to about this, he is in on a violation for the case that is still open. It’s still open because the feds wouldn’t transfer him to court. If there anyway we can fight this, since he will not have to do anymore time? Also the case manager at the prison told us we needed to move out his court dates until after is release date which has been done.

  20. Lumpkin on July 18, 2018 at 5:58 am

    My son’s halfway house date is July 25th 2018. He was given 6 months halfway house. All the paperwork is signed July 16th and everything is ready to go. Meanwhile, prior to all paperwork signing I’ve been in contact with the RRC Manager Mr. Potts and he’s assure me my son has a bed there for July 25th with is name on it. Then my son is called into the office July 17th to be told his halfway house date has been changed to September. 7 days away from me delivering him to Keeton Corrections, Birmingham Alabama and he’s told this. Can that be done? What do I need to do? Help me please!

  21. Charlotte on August 8, 2018 at 3:00 pm

    My sister is set to go to Halfway house on August 16th I am wondering how long she will have to stay she already has a job waiting for her and a good place to stay is there anyway they will give her home confinement right away?? Please help anyone!

    • Brandon Sample on August 21, 2018 at 2:06 pm

      It depends. But usually, even in the best case scenario, she will be at the halfway house for at least 3 weeks or so. The halfway house must approve the residence before she can go to home confinement.

  22. Heather on August 25, 2018 at 12:49 am

    What is the process of requesting home confinement? My husband who will be released in December was told he would have half way status on Aug 21 but then was transferred to another state 1st. He was told he would only be there for a few weeks until placed in half way house. Then recently was told there are too many people ahead of him and that he will probably not be going to halfway house. He followed all the protocols to be placed only to be moved away from family and then told no halfway house. He is a nonviolent offender, has a family and a job waiting. Why was he given a date only to have it stripped away? Very hard for someone’s mental health to recover from this not only for him but for young children who were told their father would soon be home. Not fair at all. These are peoples lives they are tearing apart.

    • Brandon Sample on August 26, 2018 at 1:02 pm

      Home confinement is typically sought after the prisoner arrives at the halfway house. The halfway house has to go out to the person’s residence to approve it. And then paperwork must be sent to the Residential Reentry Manager who has the final say. It is technically possible for prisoner to receive “direct commitment” to home confinement. There is also another program called the Federal Location Monitoring Program. In that program, the U.S. Probation Office supervises the prisoner on home confinement instead of the halfway house. But very few people are approved for this.

      Since he was told the he cannot go to halfway house, he should speak to his case manager about direct commitment to home confinement or the Federal Location Monitoring Program.

  23. Jean W. on September 15, 2018 at 10:05 am

    My fiancé is a federal camp and his request for placements in a halfway house in our new city was denied. If we get married prior to his release, will they approve his request for placement with me?

    • Brandon Sample on September 18, 2018 at 11:51 pm

      Perhaps. But then again it could be too late in the process for that to happen.

  24. James William frost junior on October 21, 2018 at 2:02 am

    If a person is incarcerated can they be placed on to a halfway house

    • Brandon Sample on October 23, 2018 at 7:44 am

      Yes, it happens reputinely for federal prisoners, particularly when they get close to the end of their sentences.

  25. Ashly J on October 28, 2018 at 11:45 am

    My fiancé is getting ready to go to a federal transition center in Phoenix Arizona in 4 months and he’s wondering what type of phones do they have for the clients (inmates) to access to be able to contact love ones because right we’re communicating through corrlinks daily so we’re wondering how/what would he be able to use to keep in contact with me and his family while he’s in AZ.

    • Brandon Sample on November 1, 2018 at 5:20 pm

      Most halfway houses allow inmates to have cell phones now.

  26. Eve Gregory on November 4, 2018 at 5:42 pm

    I’m getting ready to self surrender next week for a sentence of 26 mths, in West va federal women prison… by my lawyers calculations, standard sheet, I’m only gonna serve approximately 16 mths n then 6 months halfway house, is this correct? N is the halfway house guaranteed, or could I request straight home confinement or federal monitoring since I have a mentally n physically ill adult child that may need a heart/ liver transplant while I’m in carceration or close to my release… n is it possible to get early release from prison n complete remainder under same circumstances, if his ailment should become extreme prior to release based on time required to b served?

    • Brandon Sample on November 9, 2018 at 4:45 pm

      You likely will not receive 6 months of halfway house. It is not guaranteed. in fact, most people are being granted 2-3 months with sentences that are very short like yours. If there is a caretaker available for your son, BOP might not give much consideration to that issue notwithstanding the seriousness of it. This is because BOP is largely uncompassionate on these matters.

      • Amy P. on November 24, 2018 at 9:30 am

        Hi, my husband is currently incarcerated in SC, however he is looking into having his counselors send him to GA or FL to do his halfway house time there. Once released, he would like to relocate to OH where I reside to do a home confinement. Will that be an issue? Will he have to stay in whatever state that he is in for the half way program?

        • Brandon Sample on November 24, 2018 at 4:32 pm

          Yes, that will be an issue. If he wants to do home confinement with you then he needs to release to OH. He cannot move around like that.

  27. G. Sheaffer on November 27, 2018 at 9:05 pm

    Mr Sample,
    I am currently in a federal halfway house in south florida and have experienced racism and 2 incident reports were sanctioned to me based on staff dishonesty regarding my job. Is there any way i can fight back? I think this place has a lot of corrupt staff and the director was just fired due to missing funds $$. Thank you for your time:) I always appreciated your newsletters when i was away at camp!

    • Christopher Zoukis on November 27, 2018 at 10:32 pm

      I’m sorry to hear that. The system is very broken. Keep your head up and this will pass. Luckily (and unluckily), halfway house placements are rather short. Soon you will be home with family and away from those people.

  28. Hollym on December 7, 2018 at 2:17 pm

    Preparing to self surrender for a 6 month sentence. No possibility of going directly to a halfway or home or Federal Location Monitoring Program? Is it at the BOPs discretion? If incarceration is mandatory, due to the short term, what could my possibilities be? Many thanks in advance.

  29. Dan Hathy on December 25, 2018 at 9:32 pm

    My fiancee is being released in May-June of 2019. She is currently in W Virginia and has been in MN and AL. She was sentenced in Boise. She wants to release to MN, where I live and her case manager approved it. The Probation Officer denied her release to MN saying she needs to go back to Boise where her family is. He said she can talk to her case manager if she wants but he said his reason is she has no family here and she should go back to ID. She has never wanted to go back to ID due to an ex husband and her co-defendants. Is there anything else we can do?

    • Christopher Zoukis on December 26, 2018 at 4:58 pm

      What you are talking about is a relocation request. The U.S. Probation Officer will be looking at three factors: 1) Does the inmate have community ties (e.g., family), 2) Does the inmate have housing in the area, and 3) Does the inmate have a job in the area or the skills required to obtain a job in the area. A good way to approach this is put together a framework to be able to check off as many of these boxes as possible, and then to draft a document which plainly expresses this. If you would like to hire counsel to assist in this matter we stand ready to help.

  30. Walden Schmidt on January 2, 2019 at 1:07 pm

    I am looking for two BOP Halfway house policy statements. Where can I find them online?

Leave a Comment